The summer is here in the UK and that means more time for days out. And whether you’re into outdoor adventures, relaxed days out with friends, or fun activities with the children, we’ve got summer days out ideas for rainy days, sunny days and everything in between. Best of all, all of these days out and activities are available through our local Town & City Gift Cards, so don’t forget to pack your gift card along with your picnic!
- There’s lots happening at the Stephen Joseph Theatre this summer. Watch the original The Railway Children movie from 1970, and the new The Railway Children Return movie in July and August, in celebration of Yorkshire Day. Meanwhile, at the theatre, you can see Emma Rice’s adaptation of Noël Coward’s timeless tale Brief Encounter. Part of the Scarborough Gift Card.
- Pantomimes aren’t just for Christmas, as you can enjoy the swashbuckling panto Treasure Island at Camberley Theatre this August, filled with comedy, songs and obligatory audience participation! Part of the Camberley Gift Card.
- Don’t let wet weather spoil a good day out, and book in for bowling at Superbowl UK in Newport. Look out for their Kids For Quidz offer running through the summer, where kids can bowl for £1 and adults for £2, before 10am (can’t be booked online). Part of the Newport Gift Card.
- With its historic miniature railway, traditional funfair rides like the waltzers, log flume, and the dodgems, plus face painting, maze, hook a duck and more, there’s plenty to keep the whole family entertained with a day out at Southport Pleasureland. Part of the Southport Gift Card.
Action and adventure
- One locked room, one brief, and 60 minutes to solve clues and puzzles so you can escape. With rooms including Infinity, Parallax and Jungle, the mission awaits at Locked In A Room, Bristol. An ideal day out for rainy days. Part of the Bristol Gift Card.
- Archery, axe and spear throwing are all on the agenda when you book in for a Woodland Warrior adventure with Do It Outdoors in Perthshire, Scotland. Part of the REDS Rural Gift Card.
Wildlife and animals
- From the blue lagoon inland beach ideal for picnics and paddling, to seeing the animals, zip-lining and quad biking, there’s plenty to do across the 70 acres of Rose Park Farm, close to Ballymoney in Northern Ireland. Open every day during the summer, and part of the Causeway Coast and Glens Gift Card.
- Majestic Lough Carrib is your destination on a stand up paddleboarding session with Ashford Outdoors. You’ll take in the Ashford Estate, Lisloughrey Quay, see stunning landscapes and spot plenty of aquatic life on this two hour SUP activity. Part of the Lakes Gift Card.
Museums and exhibitions
- Step into the world of Van Gogh at this exciting touring exhibition where virtual projection including sound and lights let you become a part of the Van Gogh universe. The exhibition is in Leicester throughout August 2022. Part of the Leicester Gift Card.
- There’s plenty happening at Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens this summer. Like the University of Sunderland Art and Design Degree Show, the Anthony Amoako-Attah: Transition IV exhibition, plus activities for children like Maritime Mondays and Arty Wednesdays. Part of the Sunderland Gift Card.
Castles and stately homes
- Visit 12th century Malmesbury Abbey, a place of prayer, battle, healing and burial for hundreds of years. See the tomb of King Athelstan, a 15th century illuminated bible and the crest of Henry VII. The Abbey also has its own book shop and café. Part of the Malmesbury Gift Card.
Tours and experiences
- If you’ve ever fancied making your own gin, the 60 minute Make It workshop from Cambridge Distillery will teach you all about botanicals, with tasting notes so you can create your own uniquely blended G&T. Ideal for a day out with friends. Part of the Cambridge Gift Card.
Find your local Town & City Gift Card here, and find even more ideas for days out in summer 2022!